There are various requirements under the Immigration Rules, Appendix FM in order for a successful grant of an entry clearance on the basis of being a spouse of a British or a Settled person.
The applicant applying for entry clearance as a spouse of a British Citizen or a settled person must meet the following 5 requirements:
- Suitability criteria as set out in the Immigration Rules; generally no criminal record will suffice;
- Genuine and subsisting relationship as a spouse of a person present and settled in the UK;
- Financial requirement whereby the UK spouse of the applicant must be earning at least £18,600 gross per year or savings of £62,500 if the UK spouse of the applicant has no earnings from employment, self-employment or other means of income;
- Adequate accommodation for the applicant and the UK spouse to be accommodated in the UK without recourse to public funds;
- English language requirement to show that the applicant has English at CEFR level A1 ILETS Life Skills as required by the UK Immigration Rules.
Meeting the above requirements guarantees a successful entry clearance for an initial period not exceeding 33 months subject to a condition of no recourse to public funds.